The Furong Complex
There are four buildings surrounding Furong Lake and forming a circle. The complex was the earliest dormitory building. Back to 1950s, Mr. Tan Kah Kee returned to his hometown. He donated huge sums of money together with his son-in-law into the construction of 24 new school buildings, including the Furong complex. The campus doubled in size and everything was new. Local granite was again used as main construction material and roofs are the orange tiles. The new buildings stand elegantly along with the lake. The Furong complex is also built in Jiageng style.
The Furong Lake
The Furong Lake, which is in front of the Jiageng complex, is at the center of the main campus. This lake was built in 1982; it took its name from the nearby Furong student dormitories. And “Furong” is also the name of Lee Kong Chian’s hometown, Furong village. Mr. Lee contributed a lot to the construction of XMU, so the lake was given the name in memory of him. There is a giant stone on one side of the lake, carving with the remark “Century Cultivating People”. There is also a Furong Lake in Zhangzhou Campus.
The Jiageng Complex
The Jiageng complex is named by Tan Kah Kee whose name in Mandarin is Chen Jiageng, the founder of XMU, as well as the outstanding overseas patriot. The complex is designed by the students and teachers of XMU. It is also consisted of five buildings, there is one main building and four subordinate ones. The complex is around the Furong Lake. The Jiageng building is constructed in the western style, four subordinate buildings stand symmetrically to demonstrate the main building——Song En building. There are red tile roofs and Roman pillars. In front of the stairs to the Song En building, there are eight pillars, carved with the university motto: “Pursue Excellence, Strive for Perfection” in eight Chinese Characters.
The Jian’nan Complex and the Shangxian Field
Mr. Tan Kah Kee chose the location of Jian’nan complex so that people can see these buildings as soon as they sail into the harbor from the ocean. The 5-building complex, built between 1952 and 1954, was founded by Tan’s son-in-law, Lee Kong Chian. The names of the five building are (from left to right) Chengyi, Nan’an, the Jian’nan Auditorium, Nan’guang and Chengzhi. Among them, the Jian’nan Auditorium is the largest hall in XMU.
The five buildings stand solemnly on the mountain slope and Shangxian Field is just below. Shangxian Field possesses a magnificent view. It gained the name Shangxian (first quarter moon in English) because of its shape. The stone stadium can hold 20,000 people. The field was once the training field of the navy in Qing dynasty. The Shangxian Field has greatly improved the training conditions of P.E. lessons, providing a glorious place for the footballers and runners.
The library of XMU was established in 1921, with a total area of 21,000 square meters and over 2.5 million books and papers in total (nearly one fifth of them are in foreign languages). 100,000 new books and papers are added to the library each year. Books and papers of developed subjects such as economics, administration, philosophy, history, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology are stored systematically. And the library collects books and papers on Taiwan and Southeast Asia studies.
Since the 1990s, XMU has been setting up an electronic information service system. In 2000, XMU began to build up the online library. Thus, readers can upload files through network paths. XMU Knowledge Source Portal went online a few years ago. Teachers and students are able to upload or download any files they want, check online directory and do information retrieval.
The Main Gate
A gift from a Taiwanese alum, Zhang Zilu; 1991.
Granite and relief sculptures
The four big Chinese characters “Xiamen Daxue” on the top of the gate, are rubbed from Lu Xun’s hand scripts.
The gate opens on to Zhong Meilin square, 1994,
Donated by seven brothers and sisters from Hong Kong
Zhong family, in memory of their mother, Zhong Meilin.
A fascinating sculpture: bird or book? It symbolizes knowledge about to take flight
The Qunxian Complex
The Qunxian is a five-building complex in typical Jiageng style, southern-Chinese Fujian roof and western facade. The whole Complex follows the rule of one main building (Qunxian Building) and four subordinate ones (Nangying, Tong’an, Jimei and Yingxue) in a row. The main building Qunxian looks like the letter “T” in shape and takes up 2,600 square meters. The two big characteristics “QunXian” on the top of the building, were written by Lim Boon Keng, president in 1930. “Qunxian” is quoted from masterpiece the great calligrapher Wang Xizhi’s. “Tong’an” and “Jimei” are the place names; “Nangying” and “Yingxue” are literary quotations
The Qunxian Building Complex is the center, the beginning of the university. Among the five buildings, Nangying is well-known as the “famous historic building of Fujian” for the first branch of CPC (Communist Party of China) in Fujian was set up here.
In front of the complex there is a bronze statue of Tan Kah Kee, cast in 1983, by Sun Xilin, in memory of 110th anniversary of Tan’s birth.
The Science and Art Center
The center is a four-story building, including three floors on the ground and one underground floor. The total building area is about 19,000 square meters and it cost 80 million RMB. The building was completed in August 2007. It is now a large conference venue as well as an exhibition center, which meets the need of international conferences. A graduate from the department of international economy and trade, Xiao Enming, invested 30 million RMB to help XMU to build the center.
The Siyuan Valley (XMU Reservoir, Valentine Valley)
The valley is a lovely and serene place. A reservoir surrounded by the green mountains, it was source of all the water for XMU. The name “Siyuan” refers to “think of the source”. Another name is “Valentine Valley”, coined by students, because it’s so romantic atmosphere, it’s a wonderful place for people to spend time.
Wang Qingming Pool
The Wang Qingming Pool is beside the Mingpei Gym. It has two standard swimming pools and benches for 800 hundred people. Wong Shiu Hwa, a Hong Kong alum, class of 1978，donated the pool and named it after her father. It was completed in April 2004. The design of the pool was unique and modern. There are also table tennis courts and a fitness center.